<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Let Them Eat This


I almost went to Busch's today, to have them make one of those birthday cakes with a picture of Barbara Bush on it, with the caption "Let Them Eat This."
"And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this--this (she chuckles slightly) is working very well for them."
Does she have any idea what it means to be "underprivileged"?

By the way, I have no antipathy for those people who were filmed looting and otherwise breaking various laws in New Orleans.  It's not that I encourage lawlessness; quite to the contrary.  The reason I don't despise them is that I really believe that they, unwittingly, are finally what got the Administration into gear with a serious rescue effort.  It was so embarrassing for the Administration to have Al Jazeera broadcasting video of Americans behaving badly, that the Administration finally decided to send in enough National Guard to really get things moving.  If I'm right -- and I realize that this is an untestable hypothesis -- then it would be sad commentary that it was not compassion, but wounded pride, that led to these people getting the help they needed.

UPDATE: This would appear to confirm my hypothesis.

Categories: rants, politics
Tags: