<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, February 02, 2006

Build Your Own


The last time I built a computer, I took care to design one that would operate quietly.  I've been thinking about doing it again, this time aiming for complete silence.  Usually, the key to that is in the selection of components, and in figuring the right balance between performance and power consumption.  There are many exotic components available for this purpose, but I never though a caulking gun would have any place in the project.



Now, the folks at Tom's Hardware have figured out how to do it.  They built a computer that is cooled entirely using ordinary cooking oil.  Having no fans, it is nearly silent.


I've been reading Tom's Hardware for a long time; they have one of the most informative hardware-geeky sites out there.  But this is more that just geeky-cool, it is everyone-cool.