<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, June 23, 2004

Notes on Humility


A few years ago, my son and I went out to fly some model rockets.  We didn't have a correct size engine, though.  Having had a lot of experience with Estes rockets as a kid, I thought I knew all there was to know about the subject.  We had an engine that was one step more powerful than what Estes recommended for that model, and I though it would be fine to use it. 

The rocket went way up.  When the charge went off to deploy the parachute, it blew the nose cone and parachute clear off the rocket.  It also blew the engine mount out of the body. 

We were able to retreive the nose cone and parachute, but the rocket body went flying off at least a half of a mile, and we never did find it.  We did not see where the engine mount went.  If anyone has an unexplained dent in the roof of their car, let me know.  So much for "father knows best!"