<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Now I Won't Shop at Wal-Mart, Twice


I know that Wal-Mart is staggering because of my refusal to shop there.  But now they are really going to suffer.  Not only will I not shop there, now I won't shop there twice as often.  

Solomon, writing on For Real Things I Know, informs us that a Wal-Mart in or near Pensacola forced the Pensacola News-Journal to remove their newspaper vending machines from Wal-Mart lots, because their manager was offended by an editorial in one of their editions.  The Wal-Mart manager, Bob Hart, told the senior editor that the News-Journal might be able to replace the machines if he fired the reported who wrote the column.  
Wal-Mart is a company that wraps itself in red, white and blue.

I might understand it if Wal-Mart said I ought to fire Mark because what he said wasn't accurate. But that isn't the case. Mark accurately reported that there are 10,000 children of Wal-Mart employees in a health-care program that is costing Georgia taxpayers nearly $10 million a year.

Shouldn't we talk about that?
Well, yes, we should talk about that.  We should talk about it because it is a tacit endorsement of the concept of universal health coverage.  I wonder: How many managers and CEO's of large corporations have employees who have to resort to government programs because of low wages?  I also wonder: How many of those people would be upset if we had universal health coverage?  Not content to stop wondering, I wonder: how many of those people realize what hypocrites they are?


Categories: rants
Tags: ,