<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Social Security Non-Debate


For the past few weeks, I have been thinking about writing a long piece about the Social Security debate.  I've read entries in economist's blogs, political blogs, and eclectic blogs; articles from the Economist (1  2  3), Economic Policy Institute, and various other authoritative sources.  But two things have kept me from joining the fray.  First, other bloggers are doing a fine job.  Second, there really isn't anything to debate.

All of what I've read on the subject, so far, has taught me that a lot of smart people have a lot to say about the subject.  Except for one thing.  Nobody is talking about the plan the president has put forward.  The reason, of course, is that he has not put forward a plan.   As far as I am concerned, until he does, there is nothing to talk about.