<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 08, 2004

I Forgot One...


The Corpus Callosum corrects errors of fact. Previously, I listed the members of Bush's team who should get a copy of Hooked on Phonics. The list inadvertently left out Dan Bartlett:

Bush fell short on duty at Guard
Records show pledges unmet
September 8, 2004

On July 30, 1973, shortly before he moved from Houston to Cambridge, Bush signed a document that declared, "It is my responsibility to locate and be assigned to another Reserve forces unit or mobilization augmentation position. If I fail to do so, I am subject to involuntary order to active duty for up to 24 months. . . " Under Guard regulations, Bush had 60 days to locate a new unit.

But Bush never signed up with a Boston-area unit. In 1999, Bush spokesman Dan Bartlett told the Washington Post that Bush finished his six-year commitment at a Boston area Air Force Reserve unit after he left Houston. Not so, Bartlett now concedes. "I must have misspoke," Bartlett, who is now the White House communications director, said in a recent interview.

"I must have misspoke"?  Ever time I have spoke something wrong, I have correct it. 

From Word Pirates

Misspoke

Used by politicians to imply they expressed themselves "imperfectly or incorrectly" (Websters) when in reality, they were lying through their teeth

submitted by Bob Morris


From The Columbia Guide to Standard American English, 1993:

Speak

This strong verb’s past tense is spoke, its past participle spoken. In Renaissance writing you’ll often see the now-obsolete past tense form spake. 

Just as the past participle of "speak" is "spoken," the past participle of "misspeak" is "misspoken."

The Corpus Callosum apologizes for the omission.