<$BlogRSDURL$>

Friday, August 20, 2004

Abu Ghraib: its legacy for military medicine


The Corpus Callosum was shocked into a state of total dysfunction today.  This resulted in complete loss of communication between the left and right hemispheres.  CC has noticed that the two sides have not been getting along lately.  Perhaps there are no Red States or Blue States, but there are abusers in the military along with their accomplices; and then there is the rest of humanity.  It was not just "a few bad apples." 

I really can't convey how upsetting this is.  I turned the background here all black.  I am not going to get to sleep at night.  I was in a pretty good mood when I got home from work.  My wife told me about her father's recent experience at the VA hospital.  We had a nice talk.  I felt inspired to blog about my support for a national health care service.  Then I spent part of the evening setting up a two-monitor configuration. 

The idea is that I can edit blog entries on one screen, and have the sources (news articles, etc.) on the other.  I couldn't get it to show two separate screens under Linux; all I could do was get it to echo one screen on both monitors.  That was irritating, but not really a big deal.  The two-monitor configuration works fine under Windows XP. 

So I sit down, fire up my browser.  My home page is Google News.  Immediately, I see the headline:


US Army Doctors Had Role in Abu Ghraib Abuse -Lancet
Reuters - 5 minutes ago
LONDON (Reuters) - US military doctors working in Iraq collaborated with interrogators in the abuse of prisoners at Abu Ghraib prison outside Baghdad, an article in the British medical journal The Lancet said on Friday.


Gasp.  I scan the Reuters article, then go to the source at The Lancet.  For those of you unfamiliar with it, The Lancet  is a medical journal published in the UK.  It arguably is the most prestigious -- not to mention conservative -- medical journal in the world.  Read the rest at The Rest of the Story.